Considered one of the most valued developments in the City of New York, The Beekman Regent, located at the northwest corner of East 51st Street and First Avenue is situated on the edge of several of Manhattan's premier neighborhoods - The enclaves of Beekman Place, Sutton Place and the Upper East Side. This area initially formed part of the northernmost boundary of a tract known as Turtle Bay Farm, which was owned by James Beekman (hence - Beekman Place). During the Revolutionary War, this particular site held the country home of Mr. Beekman until it was confiscated by the British for use as a headquarters.

The AIA Guide to New York City cites the entire Turtle Bay Farm area as having been "bucolic" during the early 19th century. By 1850, the area was transformed as a hub for the riverfront industry, and by 1880 the now famous "el" trains were operating along Second and Third Avenues.